"All of the products on progressivehealth.com are formulated with quality in mind. Our team of naturopathic physicians closely analyzed each formula to find the best balance of effective ingredients. I personally take Advecia for hair maintenance & Exomine for joint pain."
Brad Chase, President
Levels of Serotonin
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter in the brain that has a large influence over many brain functions. The functions of serotonin are numerous and involve control of appetite, sleep, memory and learning, temperature regulation, mood, behavior, cardiovascular function, muscle contraction, endocrine regulation, and depression.
If you have a serotonin deficiency you can experience several conditions such as depression, migraines, anxiety, and insomnia. There are natural ways to increase your serotonin levels such as food, habits and supplements.
If you think your levels are low your doctor can perform a blood test the normal range is 101-283 ng/ml (nanograms per milliliter). If you levels are high you can have a condition called carcinoid syndrome so it is important to let your doctor know if you are taking supplements that include serotonin.
Foods & Supplements that Raise Serotonin Levels
Eat a meal with high level of proteins that contain tryptophan and follow that by a carbohydrate snack about two hours later. This will act to drive the lingering tryptophan into the brain and set up the production of greater amounts of serotonin the next day.
- Serotonin levels are increased by a carbohydrate rich diet. When you eat carbohydrates it results in a rise in insulin levels that ushers the amino acid tryptophan into the brain. Tryptophan is the precursor to serotonin. Healthy carbohydrates to eat to boost levels include: barley, oats, buckwheat, yams, sweet potatoes and squashes.
- Eat proteins that favor serotonin production. Protiens high in tryptophan include: chicken, white flakey fish, lean cuts of pork, veal, cottage cheese, lamb, low fat cheeses, low fat milk and dairy products, soy and legumes.
- Learn about Supplements that boost Serotonin, such as: Seronex, TriMedica, Natrol, natures way, now foods, nsi, and natures balance.
Behavior Affects Serotonin Levels
The level of serotonin in your body affects your behavior and mood. A few things you can do to increase your levels are:
- All meditative activities raise serotonin levels. Spend time in a natural place such as a forest, park, mountains, or seashore. Prayer, meditation, positive visualization boost serotonin levels and your feelings of well being.
- Try relaxing activities such as hobbies or crafts.
- Engage in exercise that increases your heart rate somewhat but not significantly. Strolling, yoga, non-aerobic swimming, bike riding when done at least 4 days in a row a week will over a period of 60 days increase your baseline serotonin levels.
- Have a regular wake sleep cycle. The production of serotonin for the next day requires at least 7 continuous hours of sound high quality sleep the night before.
- Get out in the sun at least 30 minutes in the morning and for 2 hours
throughout the day. Sunlight burns off melatonin produced the night before.
The presence of high levels of melatonin consumes serotonin.
Sunlight suppressed the production of melatonin and allows your serotonin levels to rise during the day. Without the exposure to adequate natural light your melatonin levels will be higher and your serotonin levels will be lower.
- Do things that revitalize you and make you feel good. Take a low activity, high relaxation vacation with your family or by yourself with plenty of time to slow down.
Supplement to Boost Serotonin Levels - Seronex
Seronex is guaranteed to enhance emotional and physical well being by increasing your body's natural production of serotonin.
In concert with our team of naturopathic physicians, Progressive Health has developed this unique and comprehensive serotonin support supplement to fulfill the unmet need of those suffering from serotonin imbalance and serotonin deficiency.
By providing sufferers with a formula that provides for the optimal amount of 5-HTP (100 milligrams), Seronex is the once-daily support formula that makes it easy for anyone to discover the truly amazing properties of all natural agents.