- Clorial: Frequently Asked Questions
- Capisette Supplement Facts
- Listol Supplement Facts
- Leg Edema
- Supplements That Help Reduce Swelling In Feet
- Nutritional Advice to Reduce Swelling
- Thyax Supplement Facts
- 9 Remedies for Concentration
- Listol: Frequently Asked Questions
- Capisette: Frequently Asked Questions
Clorial Supplement Facts
Learn more about the ingredients in Clorial.
Serving Size: 2 Chewable Tablets *Daily Value Not Established Other Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Xylitol, Dextrose, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Stearic Acid, Natural Flavor, Magnesium Stearate, Sucralose, Silicon Dioxide, Cellulose Daily Dosage: As a dietary supplement, take two chewable tablets followed by a glass of water to help freshen breath.
Serving Size: 2 Chewable Tablets
*Daily Value Not Established
Other Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Xylitol, Dextrose, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Stearic Acid, Natural Flavor, Magnesium Stearate, Sucralose, Silicon Dioxide, Cellulose
Daily Dosage: As a dietary supplement, take two chewable tablets followed by a glass of water to help freshen breath.
Coenzyme Q10- A ubiquitous compound found in our body, CoQ10 is helpful for treating periodontal disease, a leading cause of halitosis. Supplementation with Co Q10 was shown to decrease periodontal pocket depth and helped healing of the gums (1). In a trial of men with periodontitis who applied topical preparations of Co Q10, significant improvements in the modified gingival index, bleeding on probing and periodontopathic bacteria activity were observed (2). Co Q10 therapy in severe periodontal disease has also been effective (3).
Xylitol- Used as a natural sweetener, unlike sugar, xylitol drastically reduces tooth decay and buildup of bad-breath causing bacteria (4,5). In one study, xylitol containing gum chewed by pregnant mothers was associated with reduced dental decay and cavity causing bacteria (Streptococcus mutans) in their children (6). Xylitol has even demonstrated equal effectiveness to dental sealants in preventing dental caries and can contribute to remineralization of teeth (7,8).
Folic Acid- In studies where folic acid is applied topically, it is effective at treating gingivitis (another main cause of halitosis) and improving gingival health in pregnant women (9,10). Oral supplementation with folic acid is recommended to patients taking the drug phenytoin to reduce gingival overgrowth (11).
Lactoferrin- This naturally occurring substance inhibits the growth of halitosis-causing bacteria through a number of mechanisms including preventing bacteria from utilizing iron for its own growth; binding and destroying bacteria, and preventing adhesion of bacteria onto gum tissue and other cells (12,13). Lactoferrin has been shown to be bactericidal against Streptococcus mutans which is considered to be the principal etiologic agent in dental caries (14).
Vitamin C- A national survey conducted in the United Kingdom showed that low intakes and plasma levels of vitamin C were associated with being edentulous (toothless) (15). In the United States, low vitamin C has also been linked to tooth loss, indicating the importance of vitamin C to oral health (16). Vitamin C deficiency is associated with swelling and bleeding of the gums, which also invites odor-causing bacteria.
Thyme- Thyme oil exhibits antibacterial activity and has been useful in dental practice (17). A component of thyme, known as thymol, appears to inhibit growth of oral pathogens in the mouth and, in combination with other essential oils, may reduce dental caries (18,19). In patients with orthodontic brackets, a dental varnish containing thymol reduced the proportion of Streptococcus mutans in suprgingival plaque near the bracket (20). Thymol is one of the essential oils with antibacterial effects found in Listerine (21).
Eucalyptus- Eucalyptus leaf and its extracts have antimicrobial and antifungal activity (22). One ingredient of eucalyptus (eucalyptol) is used in commercial mouthwashes like Listerine to exert antibacterial action on oral pathogens (21). Experimental research shows that eucalyptus oil is bactericidal against 5 types of pathogenic oral bacteria (23).
Peppermint oil- Peppermint oil makes the mouth feel fresh and, of course, makes the formula taste good. Peppermint oil can also increase salivation which is useful because dry mouth may result in halitosis (24).
1. Wilkinson EG, et al. Bioenergetics in clinical medicine. II. Adjunctive treatment with coenzyme Q in periodontal therapy. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol 1975 Sep;12(1):111-23.
2. Hanioka T et al. Effect of topical application of coenzyme Q10 on adult periodontitis. Mol Aspects Med 1994;15 Suppl:s241-8.
3. Iwamoto Y et al. Study of periodontal disease and coenzyme Q. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol 1975 Jun;11(2):265-71.
4. Hayes C. The effect of non-cariogenic sweeteners on the prevention of dental caries: a review of the evidence. J Dent Educ 2001 Oct;65(10):1106-9.
5. Alanen P, et al. Xylitol candies in caries prevention: results of a field study in Estonian children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2000 Jun;28(3):218-24.
6. Thorild I, Lindau B, Twetman S. Salivary mutans streptococci and dental caries in three-year-old children after maternal exposure to chewing gums containing combinations of xylitol, sorbitol, chlorhexidine, and fluoride. Acta Ondontol Scand 2004 Oct;62(5):245-50.
7. Alanen P, Holsti ML, Pienihakkinen K. Sealants and xylitol chewing gum are equal in caries prevention. Acta Ondontol Scand 2000 Dec;58(6):279-84.
8. Tanzer JM. Xylitol chewing gum and dental caries. Int Dent J 1995 Feb;45(1 Suppl 1):65-76.
9. Pack AR. Folate mouthwash: effects on established gingivitis in periodontal patients. J Clin Periodontol 1984;11:619-28.
10. Pack AR, Thomson ME. Effects of topical and systemic folic acid supplementation on gingivitis in pregnancy. J Clin Periodontol 1980 Oct;7(5):402-14.
11. Prasad VN et al. Folic acid and phenytoin induced gingival overgrowth--is there a preventive effect. J Indian Pedod Prev Dent 2004 Jun;22(2):82-91.
12. Valenti P, Berlutti F, Conte MP, et al. Lactoferrin functions: current status and perspectives. J Clin Gastroenterol 2004;38:S127-9.
13. Zhang GH, Mann DM, Tsai CM. Neutralization of endotoxin in vitro and in vivo by a human lactoferrin-derived peptide. Infect Immun 1999;67:1353-8.
14. Soukka T, Lumikari M, Tenovuo. Combined inhibitory effect of lactoferrin and lactoperoxidase system on the viability of Streptococcus mutans, serotype c. J Scand J Dent Res 1991 Oct;99(5):390-6.
15. Marcenes W et al. The relationship between dental status, food selection, nutrient intake, nutritional status, and body mass index in older people. Cad Saude Publica 2003 May-Jun;19(3):809-16. Epub 2003 Jun 11.
16. Nowjack-Raymer RE, Sheiham A. Association of edentulism and diet and nutrition in US adults. J Dent Res 2003 Feb;82(2):123-6.
17. Meeker HG, Linke HA. The antibacterial action of eugenol, thyme oil, and related essential oils used in dentistry. Compendium 1988 Jan;9(1):32, 34-5, 38 passim.
18. Shapiro S, Guggenheim B. The action of thymol on oral bacteria. Oral Microbial Immunol 1995 Aug;10(4):241-6.
19. Yu D et al. Caries inhibition efficacy of an antiplaque/antigingivitis dentifrice. Am J Dent 2000 Sep;13(Spec No):14C-17C.
20. Skold-Larsson K, Borgstrom MK, Twetman S. Effect of an antibacterial varnish on lactic acid production in plaque adjacent to fixed orthodontic appliances. Clin Oral Investig 2001 Jun;5(2):118-21.
21. Kato T et al. Antibacterial effects of Listerine on oral bacteria. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll 1990 Nov;31(4):301-7.
22. Takahashi T, Kokubo R, Sakaino M. Antimicrobial activities of eucalyptus leaf extracts and flavonoids from Eucalyptus maculata. Lett Appl Microbiol 2004;39:60-4.
23. Takarada K et al. A comparison of the antibacterial efficacies of essential oils against oral pathogens. Oral Microbial Immunol 2004 Feb;19(1):61-4.
24. Dawes C, Macpherson LM. Effects of nine different chewing-gums and lozenges on salivary flow rate and pH. Caries Res 1992;26(3):176-82.
Heres how Clorial, a natural bad breath remedy, can help freshen your breath: It neutralizes odor causing bacteria and helps to heal unhealthly gums.