"All of the products on progressivehealth.com are formulated with quality in mind. Our team of naturopathic physicians closely analyzed each formula to find the best balance of effective ingredients. I personally take Advecia for hair maintenance & Exomine for joint pain."
Brad Chase, President
How 5-HTP Can Help Anxiety
There are many causes for anxiety including lifestyle and your overall health. Some nutrients such as essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals, play a major role in mental wellness. Psychologically distressed adults eat differently than emotionally healthy adults which can increase anxiety.
Naturally occurring compounds in the body, taken in supplement form, may also improve mood and reduce anxiety. When used with a healthy diet and exercise regimen, supplements may help maintain enhanced emotional wellness.
5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is one supplemental alternative that may help improve emotional and mental wellness.
5-HTP is manufactured by the body from the essential amino acid tryptophan, a precursor to serotonin. Serotonin, an important neurotransmitter in the brain, appears to play a significant role in sleep, moods, pain control, inflammation, digestion, and other functions.
Unfortunately, eating food with tryptophan does not significantly increase 5-HTP levels and many turn to supplements to get the important health benefits of 5-HTP.
5-HTP acts similar to antidepressants often prescribed for generalized forms of depression and anxiety. It can be used alone or as a supplement to a pharmaceutical regimen for more severe forms.
5-HTP and Mental Wellness
5-HTP or 5-hydroxy tryptophan is a metabolic intermediary in the body to both serotonin and melatonin, substances which are critical building-blocks for mental and emotional health.
5-HTP supplementation has many advantages over other mental wellness supplements without many of their disadvantages and side effects, and has emerged as leading natural remedy for depression, stress and insomnia.
Main benefits of 5-HTP include:
- Action as a natural antidepressant
- Sleep promotion and enhancement
- The ability to suppress appetite
Many people associate mood improvement and emotional health with the consumption of 5-HTP as a supplement. Its consumption has also been linked to reduction of the intensity and severity of panic attacks.
Other emotional benefits of 5-HTP supplementation include:
- A decrease in the frequency and severity of daily headaches and migraines
- Positive impact on patients suffering from fibromyalgia
- Treatment of OCD or Obsessive compulsive disorder.
- Because low serotonin levels are associated with addictive behaviors such as gambling or theft it has been shown that 5-HTP can be a beneficial supplement in the treatment of addiction
- Lessening of the symptoms associated with PMS or premenstrual syndrome
- Positive impact in the treatment of sleep disorders including insomnia, narcolepsy and sleep apnea
Natural Supplements for Anxiety - Moderex
Progressive Health's Moderex provides your restless mind and body with the relaxation and sleep you so desperately desire, and need.
It is an effective alternative to traditional sedative medicines, which carry a high risk of dependency and adverse side effects; including grogginess and memory loss. Moderex includes 5-HTP among other ingredients.
A few ingredients in Moderex are:
- Inositol - is essential for the proper functioning of several brain neurotransmitters, including serotonin and acetylcholine. In clinical studies, inositol has been reported to be useful in treating depression and panic disorder.
- Valerian Root - has traditionally been used in folk medicine as a sedative to soothe anxiety and treat insomnia. Clinical studies have shown that supplementation with valerian root may improve sleep quality and relieve insomnia.
- GABA (Gamma Amino Butyric Acid) - is an amino acid involved in calming neurotransmitter activity in the brain. Studies suggest that GABA supplementation relieves stress and anxiety, and calms the mind and body.
- Passion Flower - has traditionally been used by the Aztecs to relieve anxiety and treat insomnia. Passion flower is synergistic with other ingredients in Moderex, including valerian.
- 5-Hydroxy Tryptophan - is a neurotransmitter in the brain that regulates our moods and sleeping patterns, and is a precursor for serotonin and melatonin. In clinical studies, 5-hydroxy tryptophan (5-HTP) has been shown to be effective in treating anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
For a complete list of ingredients Click Here.