"All of the products on progressivehealth.com are formulated with quality in mind. Our team of naturopathic physicians closely analyzed each formula to find the best balance of effective ingredients. I personally take Advecia for hair maintenance & Exomine for joint pain."
Brad Chase, President
A migraine can be disabling with symptoms so severe, all you can think about is finding a dark, quiet place to lie down. Up to 17 percent of women and 6 percent of men have experienced a migraine.
A typical migraine attack can cause some or all of these signs and symptoms:
- Moderate to severe pain, which may be confined to one side of the head or may affect both sides
- Head pain with a pulsating or throbbing quality
- Pain that worsens with physical activity
- Pain that interferes with your regular activities
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Sensitivity to light and sound
When left untreated, a migraine typically lasts from four to 72 hours, but the frequency with which headaches occur varies from person to person. You may have migraines several times a month or just once or twice a year.
Treatments and drugs
There are a variety of drugs that have been designed to treat migraines. Medications used to combat migraines fall into two broad categories:
- Pain-relieving medications - Also known as acute or abortive treatment, these types of drugs are taken during migraine attacks and are designed to stop symptoms that have already begun.
- Preventive medications - These types of drugs are taken regularly, often on a daily basis, to reduce the severity or frequency of migraines.
Choosing a strategy to manage your migraines depends on the frequency and severity of your headaches, the degree of disability your headaches cause, and your other medical conditions.
You may be a candidate for preventive therapy if you have two or more debilitating attacks a month, if you use pain-relieving medications more than twice a week, if pain-relieving medications aren't helping, or if your migraine signs and symptoms include a prolonged aura or numbness and impaired movement on one side of your body.
Nontraditional therapies may be helpful if you have chronic headache pain:
- Acupuncture - In this treatment, a practitioner inserts many thin, disposable needles into several areas of your skin. The penetration is so shallow and the needles are so thin that acupuncture generally causes little or no pain or discomfort.
- Massage - Although massage is a wonderful way to reduce stress and relieve tension, its value in treating headaches hasn't been fully determined. For people who have tight, tender muscles in the back of the head, neck and shoulders, massage may help relieve headache pain.
- Herbs, vitamins and minerals - There is some evidence that the herbs feverfew and butterbur may prevent migraines or reduce their severity. A high dose of riboflavin (vitamin B-2) also may prevent migraines by correcting tiny deficiencies in the brain cells. There is also some evidence that coenzyme Q10 supplements may be helpful in some individuals. Oral magnesium sulfate supplements may reduce the frequency of headaches in some people, although studies don't all agree on this issue.
5 HTP for Migraines
5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a compound produced in the body from the amino acid tryptophan. It is a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin and the hormone melatonin.
5-HTP supplements have become popular because it is thought that providing the body with 5-HTP in pill form can boost the body's serotonin levels, similar to the antidepressants that are thought to increase the amount of serotonin available to the brain.
5-HTP can help with the following conditions:
- Depression - 5-HTP is most commonly used for depression. Because it is thought to work like serotonin antidepressants, 5-HTP has also been used for other conditions for which these antidepressants are prescribed, such as anxiety, insomnia, fibromyalgia, and migraine.
- Insomnia - Serotonin is converted into melatonin, a hormone need to regulate sleep-wake cycles. Because 5-HTP is thought to increase serotonin levels, it may increase melatonin and help normalize sleep patterns.
- Fibromyalgia - Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by fatigue, widespread pain in the muscles, ligaments and tendons, and multiple tender points.
- Migraine - Some research indicates that 5-HTP may prevent migraines and reduce the frequency and severity of migraines.
Natural Supplement for Migraines - Viaprene
Seronex 5-HTP works by boosting your body's natural production of serotonin. Now, you can finally achieve the emotional and physical well being you've been longing for.
In concert with our team of naturopathic physicians, Progressive Health has developed this unique and comprehensive serotonin support supplement to fulfill the unmet need of those suffering from serotonin imbalance and serotonin deficiency. As a dietary supplement, take one capsule in the morning and one capsule in the afternoon with 8 ounces of water. 45-60 days of continuous use is necessary for optimum results.