- Visulyn: Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Simple Ways to See Better
- Easy Steps to Prevent Eye Damage
- Capisette Supplement Facts
- Listol Supplement Facts
- Supplements That Help Reduce Swelling In Feet
- 9 Remedies for Concentration
- Water and Fluid Retention in Legs
- Dietary Choices That Cause Fluid Accumulation
- How to Treat Edema
Visulyn Supplement Facts
Learn more about the ingredients in Ablene.
Daily Dosage: As a dietary supplement, take one capsule in the morning and with 8 ounces of water. 45-60 days of continuous use is necessary for optimum results.
Lutein-Research suggests that macular pigments like lutien and zeaxanthin are derived entirely from the diet. Generally these pigments are depleted with age, and the two main risk factors for age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) are related to absence of macular pigments (1).
However, patients with early age-related maculopathy who took lutein for 18-20 weeks showed a significant increase in macular pigment optical density, indicating the diseased macula has the ability to accumulate pigment (2). A double-blind, placebo controlled trial of supplementation with lutein alone or in combination with other nutrients showed that lutein has the ability to improve visual function in subjects with ARMD (3).
A double-blind, controlled trial conducted in patients with senile, dry macular degeneration who were given an extract of gingko for 24 weeks showed improved visual acuity (20).
Warning: If you use anticoagulants, do not use ginkgo without close monitoring by your healthcare provider.
1. Beatty S et al. Macular pigment and risk for age-related macular degeneration in subjects from a Northern European population. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2001 Feb;42(2):439-46.
2. Koh HH et al. Plasma and macular responses to lutein supplement in subjects with and without age-related maculopathy: a pilot study. Exp Eye Res 2004 Jul;79(1):21-7.
3. Richer S et al. Double-masked, placebo-controlled, randomized trial of lutein and antioxidant supplementation in the intervention of atrophic age-related macular degeneration: the Veterans LAST study (Lutein Antioxidant Supplementation Trial). Optometry 2004 Apr;75(4):216-30.
4. Krinsky NI, Landrum JT, Bone RA. Biologic mechanisms of the protective role of lutein and zeaxanthin in the eye. Annu Rev Nutr 2003;23:171-201. Epub 2003 Feb 27.
5. Thomson LR et al. Elevated retinal zeaxanthin and prevention of light-induced photoreceptor cell death in quail. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2002 Nov;43(11):3538-49.
6. Moeller SM, Jacques PF, Blumberg JB. The potential role of dietary xanthophylls in cataract and age-related macular degeneration. J Am Coll Nutr 2000 Oct;19(5 Suppl):522S-527S.
7. Demir U, Demir T, Ilhan N. The protective effect of alpha-lipoic acid against oxidative damage in rabbit conjunctiva and cornea exposed to ultraviolet radiation. Ophthalmologica 2005 Jan-Feb;219(1):49-53.
8. Voloboueva LA et al. (R)-alpha-lipoic acid protects retinal pigment epithelial cells from oxidative damage. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2005 Nov;46(11):4302-10.
9. Mayer MJ et al. Whole blood selenium in exudative age-related maculopathy. Acta Ophthamol Scand 1998 Feb;76(1):62-7.
10. McCarty MF. The putative therapeutic value of high-dose selenium in proliferative retinopathies may reflect down-regulation of VEGF production by the hypoxic retina. Med Hypotheses 2005;64(1):159-61.
13. Imaki H et al. Retinal morphology and visual pigment levels in 6- and 12-month-old rhesus monkeys fed a taurine-free human infant formula. Neurosci Res 1993 Oct 15;36(3):290-304.
14. Hillenkamp J et al. Compartmental analysis of taurine transport to the outer retina in the bovine eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2004 Nov;45(11):4099-105.
15. Fursova AZh et al. [Dietary supplementation with bilberry extract prevents macular degeneration and cataracts in senesce-accelerated OXYS rats] Adv Gerontol 2005;16:76-9.
16. Sparrow JR et al. A2E-epoxides damage DNA in retinal pigment epithelial cells. Vitamin E and other antioxidants inhibit A2E-epoxide formation. J Biol Chem 2003 May 16;278(20):18207-13. Epub 2003 Mar 19.
17. Yamakoshi J et al. Procyanidin-rich extract from grape seeds prevents cataract formation in hereditary cataractous (ICR/f) rats. J Agric Food Chem 2002 Aug 14;50(17):4983-8.
18. Ray S et al. Acute and long-term safety evaluation of a novel IH636 grape seed proanthocyanidin extract. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol 2001 Mar-Apr;109(3-4):165-97.
19. Evans JR. Ginkgo biloba extract for age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;(2):CD001775.
20. Fies P, Deniel A. [Ginkgo extract in impaired vision--treatment with special extract EGb 761 of impaired vision due to dry senile macular degeneration] Wien Med Wochenschr 2002;152(15-16):423-6.
Visulyn, a natural eyesight remedy, may be helpful with improving vision.